Tires and wires

To: Micheal Ferguson <fergie@ntplx.net>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Tires and wires
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 14:24:44 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
>Also, what are your recommendations for repainting wire wheels? Brand
and type of both primer and finish coat would be appreciated. What is
the correct color? Is this stuff available in spray cans? For that
matter, can I do an adequate job with a spray can or will I be sorry I
didn't have them done with "proper" equipment? Would like to do the job
myself and don't have said eqpt. Any helpful hints as to proper
restoration procedures would also be welcome.
<

Well, I run 165R15 Michelin XZX tires.  Originals were X or ZX (I forget
which) (not redlines).
I repainted my wheels myself.  I had them bead blasted and then I used
spray primer
and a "chrome" spray paint (out of a spray can).  The original paint was
silver but not
terribly bright.  Certainly was not bright chrome paint.  I tried "silver
aluminum" paint, but
it was too dull.  The hand spray cans worked well, but I went through a lot
of the stuff.

It seemed to hold up well.  Soon the wheels will be done professionally
(with the rest
of the car) and I can tell you what they used afterward.

-Tony