clunk mystery, update

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: clunk mystery, update
From: jmike@sky.net
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 08:16:23 -0500 (CDT)
Finally got the weenie (TR3) up on a lift yesterday.  A couple of weeks ago I
posted the symptoms, i.e. a clunk when the car went over a drop in the paving
surface.  A few of you indicated the cause was shocks, but I just couldn't
believe that the brand new shocks and links installed by yours truely a matter
of a few weeks ago could be causing the problem.  OK, so I am an idiot, I
thought they were tight enough, but they were just loose enough to allow the
shock to rotate slightly in the mount, causing it to knock against the bottom
portion of the mount.

Moral of the story?  Don't reuse nylock nuts, and don't assume the worst. (I
thought of everything else, from the tranny to the body mounts.  I am going to
try to glue a couple of strips of rubber behind the shocks when I replace the
nuts, just giving myself a margin of error if they get loose again.  It was a
good day.  Thanks to those who responded to my post.

Mike Barron
70 TR6
60 TR3
Kansas City, USA