Re: Tech: Getting down to nuts and bolts

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: Re: Tech: Getting down to nuts and bolts
From: Alan Myers <reagntsj@ricochet.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 17:12:10 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Jim,

If you aren't worrying about originality, I have been replacing all
suspension, drive train, etc. bolts in my car with Grade 8, straight
from the local hardware store. Nearly all have been standard NF (fine)
thread. In a case where I needed a shoulder, I bought a longer bolt with
the correct shoulder & used the ole Dremel to cut it down. In cases
where I needed slightly more threads I just run a die down the bolt for
as many extra turns as are needed. Nearly all the bolts I've run across
are very pretty standard sizes. Lengths don't always match up, but I can
get pretty close. I've had trouble mostly with castleated and nylock
nuts (just due to my local store not having them, I have an alternative
supplier, but they are not very conveniently located & short hours).
Have done without nylocks wherever possible (Lock-tite, lock washers &
safety wire, instead.) I've replaced lock washers with stainless steel.
I've added flat washers where appropriate to spread out the load.

Good example of what you are talking about are the bolts holding the
brake disks to the hubs and the two mounting bolts for the calipers. In
both cases, I found longer bolts w/shoulders & cut them down as
described and they fit perfectly.

Alan Myers (Too many bolts, not enuf LBC's)
San Jose, Calif
'62 TR4 #CT17602

--
MZ