Tech: Getting down to nuts and bolts

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Tech: Getting down to nuts and bolts
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 14:34:44 -0500
Listers,

Here's a good question, sure to start all kinds of discussion, flaming, etc.

Other than the (high priced/spotty service) big British parts suppliers,
does anyone know of a good source for the hardware responsible for really
keeping our cars together?

Specifically, I just went down to my industrial supplier to pick up new
bolts for the diff flanges/drive shaft on my '76 Spit.  The original bolt is
3/8"x24 thread, approximately 1 inch long with 5/8" of thread and 3/8" of
unthreaded shaft.  This jives with the standard for the hardware used on the
car:  the threaded portion will be 1.5 times the bolt diameter.

The replacement bolt is threaded all the way from tip to bolt head.  I
expect that the first time I punch the gas this weekend at Divisional that
the flanges will slip slightly and I'll crunch down the thread on the bolt.
Not a big problem, just makes me less than comfortable.

So my question is:  has anyone found a good supplier in the US who sells the
"proper" bolts?  Do I run down to the local aircraft shop and buy mil-spec
hardware?  Or just pre-order 100 of everything from TRF (or Moss or whoever)
and make a display case to show off my high priced trophies?

Jim
(Too many cars, not enough bolts!)