Re: TR6 dieseling--question

To: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>, TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 dieseling--question
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 19:35:57 -0400
Tim Gaines writes:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a related question for Dave or anyone else who knows the answer.
In doing some recent work on my Spitfire 1500 I found that the wire
from the ignition switch to the anti run-on valve was melted down from
the ignition switch to the first connector block; no valve activation
at all.  I soldered a new wire to the ignition switch (battery
disconnected), attached a new connector, and then tried to connect to
the connector block (battery now connected).  I got a spark every time
I touched the anti run-on wire to the connector.  I know the wire from
the ignition is hot with the ignition switch off, but shouldn't the
corresponding wire in the connector be ungrounded unless there is oil
pressure?  I guess this is why the original meltdown occurred.  Could
this be a simple matter of connecting the wire to the wrong terminal on
the valve itself?  In other words, is one terminal grounded and the other
not?  Or do I have some problem with the oil pressure switch?

Thanks for any and all advice here.

Tim Gaines

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I would suspect either a grounded wire leading to the anti-run-on
valve or a shorted coil in the valve itself.  If you have an
ohmmeter measure the coil resistance of the anti-run-on valve.  It
should be a moderately high value like 40 ohms or 100 ohms.  If
it has failed to the point that it is burning up wires it will
read something more like 1 ohm or less.

If you don't have an ohmmeter try pulling the wires off of the
valve and touch the wire to the connector as you did before and see
if you get a "spark".

A third thing to try is pull the wires off of the oil pressure
switch (note the arrangement so they can be put back in the right
sequence) and check again for "spark".

Try these and report back.

Dave Massey

71 TR6