Re: TR6 dieseling--question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 dieseling--question
From: Tim Gaines <mtgaines@cs1.presby.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 16:51:35 -0400
Dave Massey explained the workings of the anti run-on valve:

>When the ignition switch is switched to the off position a special
>terminal on the switch puts +12 volts on one side of the anti run-on
>valve solenoid.  The other side of the solenoid is connected to the
>three terminal oil pressure switch.  The valve will remain activated
>as long as there is oil pressure.
>
>While activated, the valve will connect the vacuum in the intake
>manifold to the charcoal canister and consequently to the float
>chambers via hoses connected to the special fittings provided
>therefore.  The net result is the gasoline is "sucked" away from the
>metering jets starving the enging and thus preventing dieseling.
>

>Dave Massey
>St. Louis, MO

I have a related question for Dave or anyone else who knows the answer.
In doing some recent work on my Spitfire 1500 I found that the wire
from the ignition switch to the anti run-on valve was melted down from
the ignition switch to the first connector block; no valve activation
at all.  I soldered a new wire to the ignition switch (battery
disconnected), attached a new connector, and then tried to connect to
the connector block (battery now connected).  I got a spark every time
I touched the anti run-on wire to the connector.  I know the wire from
the ignition is hot with the ignition switch off, but shouldn't the
corresponding wire in the connector be ungrounded unless there is oil
pressure?  I guess this is why the original meltdown occurred.  Could
this be a simple matter of connecting the wire to the wrong terminal on
the valve itself?  In other words, is one terminal grounded and the other
not?  Or do I have some problem with the oil pressure switch?

Thanks for any and all advice here.

Tim Gaines