engine rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: engine rebuild
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 15:00:47 EDT
<<any TR4A Engine Rebuild advice?>>
Regarding wet liners ... you can lock them into place with short length of
pipe (to fill removed head space) along with the exisiting head bolts/washers
when it's time to hone or bore (at least that's what it recommends in the
Autocar TR4 manual - but it also warns that if they are disturbed at all to
pull 'em and replace gasket) Interestingly it also mentions you can turn the
liners 90 degrees to rectify piston slap you may have ... nice trick eh?

I think if I was doing complete rebuild I would go for the new split lip rear
oil seal ... most other engines have gone to rubber long time ago so seems
smart.

A guy just one or two 'triumph list' ago made his own cam bearing
puller/installer tool and offered free use ...may want to check that out.

I would be tempted to 'lead-free proof' the valves/guides too....getting tired
of measuring lead substitute over here.

Good Luck
Carl
'64 TR4