Clutch trouble (disappearing clutch fluid); longish

To: Spitfires <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Clutch trouble (disappearing clutch fluid); longish
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@tibco.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 10:23:50 -0500
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Greetings list,

  I was [somewhat] prepared for this, but perhaps the list can shed more
light on my current clutch problem. I have both master and slave
cylinder rebuild kits...

  This morning, not unlike others, the clutch in my 77 spitfire just
drops straight to the floor, no resistance at all. To remedy this, I
check the clutch fluid level and the fill reservoir is empty! So I
refill and pump. No leaks on the ground beneath either. This happened
once, just after I bought the car and I filled the reservoir, pumped the
clutch for a few minutes, and it came back.

  However, it seems to be happening more frequently. I should also point
out that for the past few days, I've replaced the fuel pump and its fuel
hoses. The fuel pump is right in the area of the clutch fluid line and
the clutch cable. Is it possible I messed these up somehow? Since the
first time I lost the clutch, it didn't happen until after I was working
in that area.

  Some more questions. Where is all that fluid going if it's not going
on the ground? Is this something I should be very concerned over? I had
planned on attending a club picnic this Saturday, but in light of this
problem (and the forecast of rain), I think I'll be working on
rebuilding the slave cylinder (according to the PO, the master is new)
How long will this take?

Thanks in advance for the assist...

Victor Michael

--
Victor Michael                 |       vmichael@tibco.com
Systems Engineer               |     Voice (312) 214-2327