RE: GT6 tachometer problems - related to TR6 thread?!?

To: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Subject: RE: GT6 tachometer problems - related to TR6 thread?!?
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 19:09:20 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

Jim,

just a quick thank you for the link nad the info.  Your procedure has
solved my tach problem.  There was about 1/16" play in the magnet shaft - I
used a roberston (square) screwdriver to the same effect.  There was grease
in the workd and a bit of grit so I cleaned that as well.

I found calibration to be a bit tricky.... depending on the angle of the
cable I got different readings - I think my calbe might be snagging a bit
inside (factory cable, nasty bends on a GT6).  I am within 200 now  but I
must also calibrate for oversize tires just to make things interesting.  Oh
well,  if 200 revs makes a difference to anything but idle speed then I'm
in trouble.  Being a perfectionist though, I'll be back.

Thanks again.

Dave

At 05:00 AM 31/07/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Yes that was me with the problem.  It seems that replacement cables that
>stuck out too far had moved the magnet forward enough to cause erroneous
>readings. I finally fixed it by taking the thing apart and moving the magnet
>back where it belonged.  I describe the process and have a couple photo on
>page 3 of my web site.
>

>Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
>http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK

Dave Terrick