Re: spit u-joints

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: spit u-joints
From: "Ryan Smith" <shmitty99@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 06:33:44 PDT
I replaced all my spit's u-joints 2 weekends ago and boy was it fun!  To
say they are pressed in is an understatement.  I have never in all my
automotive experience had so much trouble getting a set of u-joints out.
Compared to removing the actual joint getting the half shaft out is a
piece of cake.  All you will need is your trusty trio of SAE wrenches
and a can of penetrant.  Someone mentioned nyloc nuts on the diffy
flange.  I replaced most of the bolts and all the nuts with some new
grade 5's.  Heck while you're under there pull the driveshaft and get
those too.  I will warn you getting the driveshaft back in is A LOT
harder than getting it out.

Ryan Smith
Mechanical Engineering, Virginia Tech
Emerald Green, 72 Spitfire