buying advise needed

To: "triumphs mail list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: buying advise needed
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 12:01:33 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
A good friend (net and mechanically challenged) called yesterday.  His 16
year old daughter has her eye on a GT 6 Mark III on a local lot and he asked
that I "inspect" it for her.  Well, the lot was closed by the time we got
there yesterday afternoon.

It looks real solid, with only light surface rust.  The mechanical are
"clean" in that there are no obvious bodges (it's been serviced by a local
mechanic (VTR consultant) and I could see nothing on the rear axle
attachment that looked out of line.  What else should we be looking at?

I told my friend that I really didn't know much about the model but that
this list would be a source for a general outline of what to watch out for.

We are going back Monday for a test drive and, if not out of line, probably
a purchase.  Is there anything particular we should look at?  Any other
questions for the dealer?

They are "asking" $2,950.00, which is the tops of what my friend and his
daughter can afford, but that seemed reasonable to me for an unrestored,
solid example.  I'm sure negotiations will bring this down a little.  Anyone
care to comment re: price.

TIA
kengano@advant.com
downstate illinois