Re: Electric Fans / Crankshaft

Subject: Re: Electric Fans / Crankshaft
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@pa.ausom.net.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 15:31:55 +1000
At 5:49 AM -0400 29/6/98, Jack McCarrick wrote:
>I thought the following might be of interest on the electric fan topic.
>
>Bill Piggot's,  Original Triumph (New Edition, 1998) on page 71 talks
>about the original fan as a crankshaft vibration damper. He makes the
>following comment "Owners who have substituted an electric fan sometimes
>experienced broken crankshafts owing to the loss of this damping
>effect.  Careful engine balancing appears to prevent this occurance."
>
>Sounds like caution is in order.

Interesting, but I would be surprised if a lightweight plastic fan would do
much to damp crankshaft oscillation.  I thought that the metal dumbell on
the end of the crankshaft, which the fan bolts to, was supposed to do the
dampening.  Does anyone know the answer?

Also, from what I have  heard, it is hard to remove; which is nature's way
of telling us that it should be left where it is.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U