RE: non-functional rear brakes

To: <DANMAS@aol.com>, <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>, <gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: non-functional rear brakes
From: kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken)
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 23:39:11 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I think this thread has be beaten to death before, but I'll throw my $0.02
worth in this time around.

Years ago I once worked in a oxygen plant that used heavy copper tubing for
high pressure transfill.  Yes, with time the copper would develop more leaks
than steel and a lot more than the flex (braided) high pressure hose we used
later on.  Having said that, the copper was easier to repair and I don't
remember any particular problems with major failure (blow-outs), but with
auto brakes, any leak has a better chance of having catastrophic results.
My $0.02?  If you can fit it up once right, use steel (or better yet,
stainless steel).  If you feel a need to tweak the system and are willing to
keep an eye on it, copper will work.  Of course, always use flex hose were
you can anticipate major movement (front calipers, rear transition from
frame to body).

I would be very surprised if frame flex would work harden copper.  Those old
oxygen pigtails use to sit for months (sometimes years) on end vibrating to
the tune of the pump prior to failure.  They really jumped around some days.
If your frame is flexing that much you've got other problems.

kengano@advant.com
downstate illinois
1959 TR3A TS57756L
1958 Model 10 Sedan TBE9239LDLB