Newbie TR6 ZS mixture question

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Newbie TR6 ZS mixture question
From: Brian Ricker <brianr@mvp.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 21:52:47 -0500
All,
    I finally got my recently purchased TR6 in the garage this evening.
Drove down
this weekend, did some work on the car Saturday and trailered it up
today. Aside from
the trailer blowing a tire on the interstate the trip was uneventful.

    Things I know I need to look at about the car -
    U-joints - clunk on power application, checked diff mounts
yesterday, no
    cracks
    Front wheel bearing is whistling at speed (LH, might as well do
both)
    Clutch picks up right at the bottom of pedal travel, yuck, can this
be fixed
    by moving which hole on the lever the shaft from the slave cyl is
attached to?

Now to my question - in adjusting rocker clearances yesterday, I noticed
the plugs
are black from carbon, rich mixture (smokes at idle, plus soot in
tailpipe). This
car is a 1970 with CD2 carbs, does the method in Bentley with the
special
tool through the top of the dashpots work on the early cars?

Thanks in advance,
Brian