Re: TR6 - Trailing arm bushings

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Tom Long <LLong@Kollmorgen.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 - Trailing arm bushings
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:57:47 -0400
Tom Long writes:

>Listers,
>I've decided that after 22 years the original trailing arm bushings on
>my 76TR6 need to be replaced.  Bentley's says to completely remove the
>trailing arm and then "press out" the bushings.  Three questions
>1) when they say "press out" does that mean I should expect to gently
>push the old ones out and simply slide the new ones in (hopefully so,
>but probably not!)  Or am I going to have to rig up a system with my
>table vise to ram it out with all the force and pressure I can muster.
>2) Is there any way possible to replace the bushings without removing
>the entire trailing arm? I'd like to rig up something with floor jacks
>to relieve rear spring tension on the arm and then with the other jack
>gently lower the training arm away from the brackets.
>
>Any advise from those that have been there, done that, and bought the
>tee shirt would be appreciated.
>
>bye for now
>
>Tom Long
>Blacksburg, VA

Tom,

Some answers:

(1 Somewhere in between.  You won't be able to press them out
by hand but a vice and moderate pressure will extract them.  A
choice of the right two socket wrenches and a vice will push
them out easily.  You will need a socket wrench that will fit
into the ID of the trailing arm to push the bushing through
and another wrench with an ID large enough for the bushing to
pass into once it leaves the arm.

(2 It might be possible to do it as I described using a large
C-clamp without removing the A-arm from the car but it might
be a bigger pain to do it that way than to just remove the A-arm
anyway.

If you are replacing the bushings I would suggest concidering
polyurethane bushings available from BPNW or Ted Schumacher.
But grease themup good, they squeek!

Good luck

Dave

71 TR6 (With poly all around)