Re: Tubes?

To: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Tubes?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:09:07 -0400 ()
Cc: sweisman@gis.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com wrote:

> ...What's different about these rims?...I really thought the world had
> moved to tubeless already; am I in error about this?

Tubeless tires indeed were quite common (perhaps nearly universal, but I'm
really not sure) by the early 1960s, at least on "solid" steel wheels.
Wire wheels are another story, of course. Going back as far as Dad's
new 1959 Triumph 10 sedan, all the Triumphs in the family over the
years have been on tubeless tires. The only exceptions have been some
tube-type Michelin X tires that I salvaged from a wire-wheeled TR4 and put
on the Mayflower (tubes and all, but NOT the wire wheels :-) ), and I've
also used tubes in some racing tires on alloy wheels on the "RaceSpit 4".

If I recall my tire history, tubeless tires and "safety" rim wheels were
largely a post-World War II innovation.

--Andy