Re: Spit Headers?

To: Terry Thompson <terry_t@access.digex.net>
Subject: Re: Spit Headers?
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:42:50 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Terry Thompson wrote:

> Does anyone know if theres a header on the market  that will work with a
> Spitfire 1500 engine/frame without modification and is of decent make? I
> know Monza makes a header but, I hear it needs grinding to fit with the
> intake manifold and even then, it doesn't fit quite right (according to
> the shop).

TriumphTune in the UK offers a 4-2-1 design (as opposed to the 4 into 1
design of the Monza and others) in both mild steel and stainless.  I
installed one in my Mk3 which has even less room than the 1500* and had no
clearance problems at all.  I went with the stainless version - it's been
4 years and still looks great.

Clearance issues aside, I like the 4-2-1 design because it's tuned for
mid-range rpm rather than high rpm like the 4-1 design.  I find that I
rarely get over 5,000 rpm going to the hardware store anymore anyway...  A
sign of progressing age, I guess.

Hope this helps,
Mike Burdick
Omaha NE