Re: It won't start

To: "triumph list" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: It won't start
From: "Jane Burdekin" <burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 11:00:32 -0600
I tried that and the but not listening to whether it tried to catch or not.
 I'll try that.  What I did notice was that the points were not moving.
Don't the points open and shut as the dist. goes around?  Its been a while
since I have really had to mess with this part of the car.  Just got it
running last summer, and then it failed emmissions in Oct.  Haven't been
able to get to it til now.  Gonna have to cut out some of those mother
duties so I can get my car going!..Thanks for all the help, this is a great
list.  Within a half hour I had 6 answers to my problem.  I'll keep you all
posted.

Jane
GT6

> But do you have spark?  My spitfire sounds like its trying to catch
> and all it really is, is the starter disengaging on its own after
> spinning some.  Pull your distributor cap off and try turning it
> over.  Does it sound the same.  If not then it is trying to catch if
> yes then you know you have another problem.  Also while the
> distributor cap is off can you see small arcs as the distributor
> rotates.
>
> Keep after it you'll get it yet.
>
> > I was very careful about the spark plug leads and yes I have double
> > and triple checked them.  It may be the sediment thing, I sure hope
> > not.  I can't see any debris in the filter, and there is fuel
> > dripping from the rear carb so I don't think it's that.  It does
> > nearly catch, has a couple of fires then the starter just spins.
> > What would that mean.  I just changed back to the old condensor and
> > may go back to the old points next, they don't look burned at all.
> > The new ones on the other hand look a little off, meaning the
> > contacts are not exactly  together.  That could do it.
> >
> > Thanks to all you guys with the immediate answers, that has helped a
> > whole lot.
> >
> > Jane
> >

> > > Jane, could you have mixed up a couple of spark plug leads after
changing

> > > the plugs? Nothing to be ashamed of; we've all done it. I found out
I'd
> > > done it after selling my GT6 Mk 3 to a friend. But we're still
friends!
> > > :-) Double-check the leads and anything else you might have done to
the
> > > ignition just to be sure.
> > >
> > > But another possibility is sediment stirred up by running the tank
dry
> > > could be affecting carbs, fuel pump, tank, pipes, etc., as previously

> > > suggested.
> > >
> > > BTW, does it "almost catch" or just spin merrily away on the starter?
> > >
> > > --Andy
> > >
> > > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> > > * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> > > *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> > > * Vintage Triumph Register                  *
> > > * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *
>
> Brad  (Lincoln Nebraska 402-464-1502)
>
> 1964 Spitfire4            BFC25720L (In "Teething" Mode right now)
> 1966 TR4A                CT72398L (Waiting for garage space to start
teardown)
> 1951 Dodge Truck    82217766  B-3-B-108 (Suspension just about ready to
install)