What IS that stuff???

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: What IS that stuff???
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 01:24:04 -0400
I'm finally getting to the trim in my almost restored Herald 1200
convertible.

It's a Mark 1, GA41328LCV. My question concerns the finishing pieces
that run along the tops of the rear seat side panels. Each side has 3
pieces, a 1 1/2 foot long channel,a short bent piece of channel that
curves around the front of the hood well, and stamping at the very front
outside. They're covered in some kind of faux vinyl. At one time it was
white. It has a textured surface, the same texture, more or less, as all
the vinyl in the car. It's very thin, maybe 1/64", and it's TOUGH AS
NAILS. And it looks like %^!%.

My question (see subject line) is What IS it? Does anybody know what
this coating is made of, and how they textured it? My other question is,
can anybody provide any tips on restoring these trim pieces? I'm
thinking of getting a sheet of white vinyl and wrapping and gluing it to
the metal, but I'd appreciate responses from anybody who's had success,
or failure, restoring them.

Thanks,
Bill Kelly
'62 Herald