'78 spitfire rear spring?

To: Triumph Mail Exploder <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: '78 spitfire rear spring?
From: Michael Galloway <mgx@spruce.lsd.ornl.gov>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 13:10:05 -0400
good day all ...

i have what should be a simple question regarding the rear leaf
spring on my '78 spitfire. my rear end was sagging so i asked my
local triumph mechanic to order me a new one. it came in yesterday
and appears substantially different from the one i removed from the
car. it is different in these ways: the four brackets which hold
the spring together are shorter on the new spring, the ends of the
spring have a different, more ovaled shape on the new spring, and
i cannot seem to be able to fit the mounting bracket and plate
into the spring (the bracket that bolts onto the differential). other
wise, the springs are similar. i'm suspecting that the new spring is
either an earlier spitfire spring or a gt6 spring. the mechanic says
its the correct one, but i'm not feeling to good about trying to make
it work.

could it be the correct spring?

--
-- michael galloway