Re: '78 spitfire rear spring?

To: Michael Galloway <mgx@spruce.lsd.ornl.gov>
Subject: Re: '78 spitfire rear spring?
From: fred thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 13:14:13 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Michael Galloway wrote:

> good day all ...
>
> i have what should be a simple question regarding the rear leaf
> spring on my '78 spitfire. my rear end was sagging so i asked my
> local triumph mechanic to order me a new one. it came in yesterday
> and appears substantially different from the one i removed from the
> car. it is different in these ways: the four brackets which hold
> the spring together are shorter on the new spring, the ends of the
> spring have a different, more ovaled shape on the new spring, and
> i cannot seem to be able to fit the mounting bracket and plate
> into the spring (the bracket that bolts onto the differential). other
> wise, the springs are similar. i'm suspecting that the new spring is
> either an earlier spitfire spring or a gt6 spring. the mechanic says
> its the correct one, but i'm not feeling to good about trying to make
> it work.
>
> could it be the correct spring?
>
> --
> -- michael galloway

Michael, may I suggest you take a look at the VTR archives on air shocks
for the rear of spits, all of them lean on the drivers side due to the
fact that most of the time the driver is the only occupant, install air
shocks and your problem should be over, another spring and three years
then another spring, very easy installation, they are a Corvette shock,
but the car goes no faster, just a Corvette shock.