Re: Electrical Question

To: "Dennis F. Kimberlin" <dkimberl@ops.org>
Subject: Re: Electrical Question
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 09:30:34 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Dennis F. Kimberlin wrote:

> Got a not-so-unique problem (had the same thing on a Ford F150).  My
> water temperature gauge will go into the hot rating at the same time the
> gas gauge goes to full (even when the tank is half full).  Doesn't do it

I don't doubt that DanMas will swoop in and give you a stunning and
comprehensive explanation, but my guess is the voltage stabilizer is not
doing its job.

If you have a little solid-state gizmo, then it should be replaced as a
matter of course.  If it's a big relay-looking thing, maybe it can be
adjusted(?)

> Not sure which gauge and wiring causes the other to react this way, but
> suspect a connection in there somewhere.  (Sorta like the chicken and
> the egg argument...)  Any ideas?

There may also be a short circuit in the dasboard wires.  With the
ignition on you may want to stick your hand in behind the dash and wiggle
the wiring harness (slowly- so the gauges can react when you find a
trouble spot)... if the gauges peg over, you've found the culprit.

If your voltage stabilizer is in the footwell like mine is, a loose hot
wire might be flapping around, and touching the wrong spot now and then.

Just some ideas...
-Malcolm