Electrical Question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Electrical Question
From: "Dennis F. Kimberlin" <dkimberl@ops.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 09:53:04 -0500
Listers,
Got a not-so-unique problem (had the same thing on a Ford F150).  My
water temperature gauge will go into the hot rating at the same time the
gas gauge goes to full (even when the tank is half full).  Doesn't do it
all the time, just enough to keep life exciting and always when the
vehicle is "at full chat", i.e. warmed up and running on the road.  With
the F150, I could "reset" the gauges when driving by turning the key off
and back on, but that tends to put undue stress on the exhaust system
and wake up fellow drivers with the resultant backfire.

By the way, I recently posted an issue a question with overheating.
Double flushed the system with commercial flushers and then backflushed
each time with the hose and the Prestone attachment, replaced the sensor
and we're (my SPIT and I seem to becoming a team operation each day now)
now running consistently 1/2 on the temp. gauge, except when it gets
excited as described above.  Appears as if some waterways were blocked
in the engine and/or radiator. Thanks for the help.

Not sure which gauge and wiring causes the other to react this way, but
suspect a connection in there somewhere.  (Sorta like the chicken and
the egg argument...)  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dennis
75 SPIT