RE: Damper oil redux

To: "'jaltman@altlaw.com'" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Subject: RE: Damper oil redux
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:57:45 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

I don't understand this. Who said anything about the o-rings being rubber?
My point is that o-rings (and other seals) come in a variety of materials.
Some are made to withstand brake fluid and would not hold up to engine and
gear oils. Others are made to withstand engine and gear oils but would not
hold up very long to brake fluid. I think to categorically state that "oil"
will dissolve the o-ring in your dashpot is incorrect. If you take your
leaky o-ring to a seal shop and ask for the same size made of the material
required to withstand the fluid you put in your dashpots, you should be ok.

Just my $.02.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada