Powder coating high-grade bolts

To: The Usual Suspects <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Powder coating high-grade bolts
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:09:19 -0700 (PDT)
A while back someone asked whether powder coating grade 5 bolts would
affect their strength.  (Carl Musson?)

I finally got an answer of sorts from the metallurigcal engineer I work
for (who consulted w/ his son, a welding instructor)

Grade 5 and less are not high-carbon bolts.  The verdict was to take some
samples, power-coat them, and try to destroy them.  So much for science.

Be forewarned that some bolts sold as grade 5 are only grade 3; it depends
on the manufacturer.  Some put 3 checks on a bolt & call it grade 3, some
call it grade 5.  Caveat emptor.

Incidentally there is also some thoughts about having hard/soft bolts.
For example, cooling the bolt in water will make it brittle; casting it
into lime or letting it air-cool will make it soft (annealed).

So there you have it.  I hope someone can manage to test the bolts, as I'm
curious and I don't have the facilities to do such an experiment :-(

-Malcolm