Re: HELP - TR3 - Silentbloc bush removal

To: drew@pixar.com
Subject: Re: HELP - TR3 - Silentbloc bush removal
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:56:36
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Drew,

At 09:06 AM 6/10/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi Jack,

>You might try removing the top cover and the big nut on the end
>of the rocker shaft and see if by some miracle the drop arm can
>be seperated from the spline on the rocker shaft.

You are talking about removing the big nut on the botton of the steering
box.  THe one that holds the splined "drop arm" onto the steering box.
I've considered that, but I suspect, as do you from your message, that it
will be very difficult to seperate.  My experience with similar splines on
motorcycles is that a puller would be required.

>Does your car have a two piece steering column? I had always
>heard that the reason Triumph went to the two piece column was
>so the steering box could be removed without taking the front
>apron off. That was always the biggest part of the job for me.
>If you can pull the box out without too much trouble you may
>be better off just getting it up on the bench to work on it.

I am pretty sure it is a non-adjustable, two part column.  Yup, Moss's
catalog confirms it, based on Comm. # (TS69032L).  I like this solution, no
banging on the drop arm, until it rests well supported on my work bench.
I'll check it out and maybe put a seperate message out to see if anyone has
ever done this.  I don't believe the radiator or anything but maybe the
horn, will be in the way.  Drew, you may just have something here.

Thanks,

Jack