Re: Finding Top Dead Center?

To: mbrinker@flash.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Finding Top Dead Center?
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 15:46:59 -0700
Mike,

You may have half the right approach.  In addtion, undo the spark plugs,
and remove the valve cover.  Rotate the crank until you are a TDC according
to the timing wheel.  Look at the valves lifters for the #1 cylinder.  Are
they at rest or is one being activated by a push rod.   If the former, then
you have TDC on the compression stroke for #1.  Else rotate the crank one
more rev and repeat this procedure.  You should be on the compression
stroke for #1.  Now install the dist with the rotor pointing to the #1
postion on the cap.

Good luck,

Dave
San Diego, Ca
1970 TR6 CP51649

My TR6 engine is completely rebuild and in the car.  The cam and crank have
been timed and I am confident that the engine is set up correctly.  During
the installation of my transmission, the motor was turned over by hand
while
lining up the splines.  My distributor gear was out of the motor.  I know
that I should have kept the distributor gear in the block, but it wasn't.
It
was when I set up the engine and found TDC with the head off.   How do I
find top dead center so I can set the distributor gear in its proper
position according to the book?  Do I use the front timing wheel and line
it
up with the timing chain cover pointer?  Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Mike Brinker