Finding Top Dead Center?

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Finding Top Dead Center?
From: "The Brinkers" <mbrinker@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 18:19:33 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
My TR6 engine is completely rebuild and in the car.  The cam and crank have
been timed and I am confident that the engine is set up correctly.  During
the installation of my transmission, the motor was turned over by hand while
lining up the splines.  My distributor gear was out of the motor.  I know
that I should have kept the distributor gear in the block, but it wasn't. It
was when I set up the engine and found TDC with the head off.   How do I
find top dead center so I can set the distributor gear in its proper
position according to the book?  Do I use the front timing wheel and line it
up with the timing chain cover pointer?  Any advice?
Thanks in advance.
Mike Brinker