Re: Fuel Pump

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>, <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 22:00:09 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
> From: Robert M. Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>

> Now, there are a bunch of low pressure pumps available. Facet (marketed
as
> Purolator, at NAPA and through other OEM arrangements) makes a pump that
> looks like an electronic transformer device... this is a "solid state"
pump,
> and it is available in 2 different models. A 1.5 - 4 PSI unit (the
cheapest
> one) and another that produces 4 - 6 PSI. The cheapo one is more than
> adequate for your Triumph - I use one with my Triple DCOE setup, and I
don't
> currently use a regulator. I intend to put in a regulator - I just have
not
> got around to it.

Note to all of you who may be contemplating adding an electric fuel pump.
If you are located in an area where the EPA has mandated oxygenated gas,
you MUST be very careful in your choice of electric fuel pump. For over 15
years I ran an interrupter (thump thump thump) style electric fuel pump in
my car. The first one lasted 10 years, the last one lasted only 6 months.
The diaphragms in these pumps cannot stand up to the environmentally
friendly gasoline. The Facet pump clearly states on the package that it is
compatible with all gasolines. Mine is still going after 2 years. I do kind
of miss the old thump thump thump, though. It was easy to tell when the
pump stopped working, and I didn't need a fuel pressure gauge ;-).