TR4 seat rails- maybe helpful

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 seat rails- maybe helpful
From: Dennis Barr <tr357@cdsnet.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 20:26:11 -0700
In my quest to restore my 1963 TR4, I make it a point as many of you do
to clean and refinish/paint every piece you can. Seat rails are a puzzle
as they do not want to "come apart". The following method has worked
twice for me; once on my '57 smallmouth and now today on the TR4.
They must be out of the car first. Slide the rails apart enough to
expose one of the stops (dimples) on the wider lower rail. Place this
rail on a very hard surface and punch flat the dimple. You only need to
do one end. Then, with the rails WELL oiled or lubed, start tapping them
apart in the direction of the flattened stop. You will feel some
resistance as the inner wheels roll past the upper stops, but keep
going. You won't hurt them. When they are apart, you can clean,
rustproof and paint. Reset the dimple after you put it all back. As I
say, this worked for me. Hope it is of some help to someone else.
Thank you list !
Dennis Barr Medford, OR. tr357@cdsnet.net