Re: TR250 Commission Number fiasco AN ANSWER

To: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: TR250 Commission Number fiasco AN ANSWER
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 22:11:56 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Henry, and all others,

   This whole issue is easily resoved.  You are only two pop rivits
away from making the car anything you want. There are no frame numbers
to worry about.  All the state DMV (at least in Connecticut) is worried
about is that the numbers on whatever paperwork is on the piece of paper
in the inspector's hand is on the Commision plate.
  I realize Henry said the body number was given as the Comission number,
well then, tell the inspector to look at the body number tag.  If he has a pro-
blem with that, then it is a mess, and the inspector will problably have to
start
a title search on the Comm. number- if he's smart enough to realize that a
Commision number is really in fact  the "V.I.N.", which I doubt.
  If you are concerned that he'll see the Comm. tag and say "Look here is the
real
V.I.N., and it dosen't match the number on the form here, so I'll flunk this
car.",
Then just remove the Comm. tag.  What will happen is he'll go looking under the
hood (problably at the windshield dash area first, then get all confused), see
the
aluminum tag with the correct number, (not knowing that it is in fact a body
number,
not the V.I.N.) and be happy with that.
  Henry was worried also that there was no title with this car, no problem. Conn
Department of Motor Vehicles (the DMV) didn't begin issuing titles until 1980 or
so.  If the car car was registered by the previous owner before this time, he
never
had a title. No problem.  When he registers the car, he will get a title sent
to him,
from DMV's central office, with his name on it as the new owner, a month or two
later.
  Composite title/registrations are for people who've built a car themselves
(total re-
builds don't count- they've already met DOT standards), or if you radically
alter an
existing car.  They primarily are a detailed inspection to see if your car is
up to Conn-
ecticuts legal standards, i.e. legal exhaust, lighting, windsheild, smog
control, etc.
  Henry, truth be told, you can fight city (or in this case state) hall, but
why bother?  Just
give them what they want (an simple,easy time inspecting your car) and let them
register
your car.  If they say the body number is the V.I.N., ok, it's the V.I.N., now
gimme my plate
 Somebody whose registered and had inspections on at least 8 cars (been there,
done that),

                                                           JOE IV
                                                           TR 250
                                                   WALLINGFORD, CT. USA