Re: TR6 Questions

To: Brian Damkroger <bkdamkr@nmia.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Questions
From: Aaron Johnson <sugar@holly.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 07:04:29 -0600 (MDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Brian Damkroger wrote:

> I've just gotten a TR6 and have a couple of questions.
>
> 1) What's the proper timing advance, at idle, measured with a timing
> light?  The manuals I have suggest it's 4 degrees ATDC which seems odd.
> I'm used to seeing several degrees BTDC.  Any help?

most people run between 6 and 12 degrees BTDC, 4 ATDC is mostly for
emissions puposes, but if you want your car to run good use the 6-12 BTDC.

> 2) What's a reasonable adjustment for altitude - I'm at 5000 ft.  1
> degree of extra advance for every 1000 ft above sea level, or 2?

In theory it's 1, but i'm also at around 5000ft, when the motor still had
stock components it ran best at 10.

> 3) I need to replace the differential mounts.  How hard is it likely to
> be to remove the nuts on the mount bolts?  How likely am I to twist one
> off and end up having to take the body off?

Pulling the diff isn't that hard.  Not very hard.  If the stud twists off
you have bigger problems than just replacing the mounts.

Aaron Johnson
72 TR6 CC84967U