Re: TR6 Steering Column Bushings

To: peterz@merak.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Steering Column Bushings
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 00:18:09 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

WRT your comment about how long the new bushings will last...

I see that TRF's "delrin" steering column bushings are not available
anymore. That pretty much defines that delrin lasts more or less forever...
sales were down so they dropped that part and sell the felt ones by the
bushell full!

;-)

Actually, the ones I ordered back in January were shipped to your house by
accident, I'd appreciate it if you'd pull those suckers out and send 'em to
me so I can get my steering back together.

;-) ;-)

As for the shear bolts, I'm not so sure that they are only there for
security. '68 and on cars in the 'States had collision laws that applied.
Perhaps (this is a WAG) the shear bolts are there so that in a frontal
collision the steering column can move forward instead of the "impaling
option" defined by the column _not moving_. The reason that I state this is
that I have observed that the front frame crossmember is made to crush
against the engine (if you've pulled an engine, you know about this neat
little feature) - so if the driver is propelled forward in a crash, the dash
and steering colunm can smoosh forward.

Like I said - a WAG...

oh well. Gotta go play with hubs and so forth.

C ya,
rml
Bob Lang
TR6's