tr6 steering column bushings

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: tr6 steering column bushings
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 15:40:33 -0600
Well I finally got the steering column rebushing kit from TRF. I will
therefore endeavor to remove the last of the sloppiness from my steering by
replacing the column bushings this weekend. Reading the Bentley manual and
some posts from the archives, it appears that two major problems will arise:

1. Removal of the shear bolts from the ignition lock (late model TR6 -
locking ignition).

2. Removal of the old bushings from the steering column assembly.

I would be most grateful for any advice from those who have already traveled
down this road. Any tips on how to perform these two steps (as well as any
other ones I may be overlooking) would be most kind.

Some specific questions I have are: is removal of the speedo really
necessary to access the shear bolts. Or can the column assembly be loosened
and rotated 180 degrees to provide access to the little buggers from the
bottom?

Looking forward to some good ideas.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)