Re: tr6 steering column bushings

To: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: Re: tr6 steering column bushings
From: Dana & Jane Du Fresne <pumacon@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 18:19:26 -0400
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Peter Zaborski wrote:

> Well I finally got the steering column rebushing kit from TRF. I will
> therefore endeavor to remove the last of the sloppiness from my steering by
> replacing the column bushings this weekend. Reading the Bentley manual and
> some posts from the archives, it appears that two major problems will arise:
>
> 1. Removal of the shear bolts from the ignition lock (late model TR6 -
> locking ignition).
>
> 2. Removal of the old bushings from the steering column assembly.
>
> I would be most grateful for any advice from those who have already traveled
> down this road. Any tips on how to perform these two steps (as well as any
> other ones I may be overlooking) would be most kind.
>
> Some specific questions I have are: is removal of the speedo really
> necessary to access the shear bolts. Or can the column assembly be loosened
> and rotated 180 degrees to provide access to the little buggers from the
> bottom?
>
> Looking forward to some good ideas.
>
> Peter Zaborski
> 76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
> Calgary AB Canada
As far as taking out the ignition lock, I recommend taking out the
speedo and maybe the tach.  I purchased a '76 TR a few years ago and the
owner didn't have the key so I had to replace the ignition switch.  To
do so I purchased a right angle drill chuck adaptor that fit my cordless
drill.  Once the speedo was out I was able to get at the shear bolts
holding the lock in place.  I drilled a hole (sized to the easy-out) I
had in the center of each bolt. Using the easy-out they came right out
no problem.   As far as the column bushings... no idea  ????  good luck
with them.

Dana
72 TR6
'Blond _itch as my wife refers to it.