Re:Schutz Gun

To: <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re:Schutz Gun
From: "David Hill" <David_J_Hill@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 23:47:46 +0100

Malcom Walker wrote......

>Can you describe your version of a Schutz gun?  I have this sprayer thing,
>and I *can* get a schutz gun for use with rubber / asphalt undercoat but
>I'm not sure if it's the same deal.

My Schutz Gun is a cast alloy device with a handle, trigger and a plastic
nozzle. I used the thread which accepts the plastic nozzle as aplace to
'screw' in a piece of flexible plastic tubing.
The gun accepts a cartridge, about 10" tall x 4" diameter, full of body
Schutz which is a plasticised black compound. Just refill it with Waxoyl or
your preferred compound.

The underbody coating we get in the UK is called Underseal. It is a very
thick, black coating which can be built up. Many use it to hide rot.
In practise, underseal used over rot tends to crack then act like a
poultice, holding water against the already rusty metal. By the time the
underseal falls of, the damage is done.

There is a good alternative-stonechip compound. This is a thin, rubbery,
black coating, probably PVC based. It's much better than underseal but has
poor ability to go into seams by capillary action.

hope this helps,

Dave Hill