Head Gaskets

To: jfcowan@earthlink.net
Subject: Head Gaskets
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 13:00:39
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>Taking off the manifolds looks straighforward, except for the joint where
>the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe meet.  Does anyone know if there
>are any pitfalls in this operation?

John,

Having seperated my exhaust pipe from the exhaust header to pull the head
off my TR3A, (emergency re-ringing job) I would strongly recommend that
unless you have a problem with this joint, simply seperate the manifolds
from the head and leave the exhaust pipe/manifold intact.  The studs are
rusty and can break, plus it is yet another gasket to buy.

Also, be careful when replacing the butterfly shaped clamps which hold the
manifolds to the head.  It is easy to skew one and they are difficult to
remove if they get jammed in the wrong way.  It took me 45 (frustrating)
minutes to get one loose after I tightened it up and got it wedged in.  I
was working on the car and watching my 3 and 5 year olds at the same time.
Poor judgement on my part.

If you are not getting rid of the car soon <joke> you may want to consider
using never-sieze on the studs too, especially the manifold studs.

BTW - Don't forget to untorque the head in steps too.

Been there, done this, a couple of weeks ago.  Just take your time.

I'm looking forward to the conclusion of the 500 mile break-in, the third
and final head torquing and the raspy snarl which accompanies my
unrestricted throttle mashing   :-)

Jack (barely enduring the break-in) Brooks