RE: Removing Dim/Dimmer/Off Rheostat

To: "'Cliff Hansen'" <chansen@exis.net>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Removing Dim/Dimmer/Off Rheostat
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:27:01 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
No resistor, just jumper the switch.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Cliff Hansen
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 1998 10:09 PM
To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Removing Dim/Dimmer/Off Rheostat

Hi,

I finally found the short that kept blowing fuses, in turn preventing
me from having dash lights.  Its in the rheostat, must be internal,
I found it by pulling the switch plinth off, wiggling wires until something
started smoking.  Then I removed all other wires but the hot one
from the rheostat, when I turned it back on it started smoking again.

Since the thing only has three settings (dim, dimmer, off), I am tempted
to simply connect the wires behind the dash, leaving the switch in just
for show.  My question: should I add a small resister in series to replace
the switch?  Something on the order of 4-5 ohms I think at least that's
what I measured between the terminals on the rheostat.

Making progress towards that June safety inspection...

Cliff Hansen
chansen@exis.net
1966 TR-4A CTC 64615L (improved lights, no speedometer)