Re: TR3 battery box

To: Fansher <fansher@bitstorm.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 battery box
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 22:21:31 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 25 May 1998, Fansher wrote:

> a replacement from Moss this week. Now for the question:  How much "stuff"
> inside the car or in the engine compartment needs to be removed to 1) get at
> the old welds to grind? them and 2) to allow the new welding to be done.
> How much heat is generated?  There is a branch of the wiring harness that

I would say to give at least 2 inches clearence between anything weldable
and anything flammable.

For this reason I have repaired my battery box with fiberglass.

Depending on the welding method you choose, the heat penetration can be
from half an inch around the weld (less for spot welding) to about 2-3"
for fire-welding.  A good idea is to soak a rag in water, wring it out,
and place it near the weld & on top of the flammable stuff (carpet /
bondo).

It will not stop the wires from melting.  I would get them as far away as
possible.  I have to use a rag on my body tub as I weld (oxy-acet.),
otherwise the bondo catches fire and distracts me :-)

Such as it is I will need to do a lot of grinding and filling to finish.
If you are a good welder (I'm not) then you should be able to stick it in
first try.  Make sure you cover up the windshield and the engine, and
anything else affected by molten metal.  Good luck!

-Malcolm
'62 TR4 (major surgery in progress)