TR6 Crankshaft thrust bearings - Final word

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 Crankshaft thrust bearings - Final word
From: Andy <adixon@loudoun.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 14:04:09 -0400 (EDT)
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by idalee.loudoun.com
Just a short while ago there was much discussion about which way the
grooves on the thrust bearings faced. As I was getting up the nerve to tear
down my engine I read them all. Well there are 4 combinations and it
seemed like opinion was split evenly between all of them.
As I tore down my engine it was obvious it had been rebuilt as the caps
were all numbered - very little wear on the main and big end bearings. My
hopes were up.
Pulled out the thrust bearings today. The rearmost bearing had the grooves
to the rear of the engine, no wear. The foremost bearing also had the
grooves to the rear of the engine and had machined a nice little groove in
the crankshaft that I hope the machinist can build up for me.
>From experience it would appear that the rearmost has the grooves to the
rear of the engine and the foremost has the grooves to the front of the
engine.
Those of you who said the grooves go against the moving surfaces, go to
the head of the class.
Thanks to all of you who gave any answer, they all count.
Andy