Re: trasnmission bearing or clutch

To: JONATHAN LOPEZ <lopezje@bulldog.georgetown.edu>
Subject: Re: trasnmission bearing or clutch
From: Joseph Sholtes <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 22:56:17 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

JONATHAN LOPEZ wrote:

> Anyway, the point is that I have noticed in the past week that when the
> clutch is dis-engaged there is a light rattling sound.  This sound goes
> away when I engage the clutch.  I took it in to them, and they say it is
> the transmission bearing and not the clutch.  Does this sound right?  It
> is the difference between me paying or them paying.
>
> any advice or experience would help
>
> jonathan

Jon,

   Complete opposite.  If you hear noise when you press the clutch pedal,
then most likely the trowout bearing is the culprit.  This is because at this
point, the transmission is stopped, so how can it make noise?
  If however you hear noise with your foot off the pedal, with the car running
and in neutral, than the tranny (most commonly the counter(lay)shaft) is the
problem.  I say this because if you foot is off the pedal, the clutch assembly
is at one with the flywheel, rotating together, so how could it make noise?
  There are a few exceptions to this rule, but they require firsthand
observation
of you car.

                                                       JOE IV
                                                       TR 250