TR3 figure 8 gaskets etc

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR3 figure 8 gaskets etc
From: ROBERT SUGGITT <rsuggitt@bmts.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 17:12:44 -0700
I have a few questions for the experienced engine builders out there...

My manual indicates that the figure 8 gaskets should be plastic coated.  My
new ones from Payen are not coated with anything visible.  Is this a
problem?

Any suggestions for a "non-setting sealant" to be used on the figure 8
gaskets?  Well-Seal seems to be available from the TRF but there must be
something I can get locally (from Loctite ?)

How much sealant to use?  Coat both sides of the gasket?  When taken apart
there did not appear to be any sealant (but it is 40 years old!)

What about all of the other gaskets in the engine.  I've read on this list
to use engine oil on the paper gaskets.  Do the head/sump/manifold gaskets
need any goop?

Rob Suggitt
TS47447