RE: More Tyres

To: "'Bob Lang'" <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: RE: More Tyres
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 13:25:57 -0600
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

I have to disagree on this one Bob. I always thought that the +1, +2, etc.
designation refers to maiantining the same rolling diameter but increasing
the *wheel* size by 1" (+1), 2" (+2), etc. Thus a +1 upgrade to a TR6 would
be a xx/xxx-16 where I don't know off hand which xx values result in the
same rolling diameter as the 185/80-15. But you would end up with a much
lower profile tire. More stick (due to stiffer sidewalls since they are not
as tall) but also more pain or a harsher ride (less air to cushion the road
imperfections).

At least that is what is seems to mean in the GTI world. I think Tire Rack
explains this on their site.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO) (Michelin redlines in original size)
87 GTI (185/60-14 - stock size)
Calgary AB Canada