Re: More Tyres

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More Tyres
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 15:17:45 -0400 (EDT)
Hi again,

It's me, the Central Scrutinizer again, ahem...

whoops, wrong idiom!

The stock tires for TR6 were 80 series. The G800 tire was an 80 profile.
Note: this was a time when 78 series tires were considered an upgrade and
70 series tires were sold by at least one manufacturer as "Wide Ovals".

Anybody else remember this?

As for the "rule of thumb", you are referring to what the tire guys call a
"plus one" and "plus two" tire... thus, a 185/80 would be about the same
diameter as a 195/75 (plus one) or a 205/70 (plus two)...  extrapolating a
bit, you might come up with with a 225/60-15 as being a "plus four", but
the equation breaks, as the diameter is something like an inch smaller...
However the rule of thumb does work for plus one and plus two sizes.

Zoom zoom.
rml

p.s. I was not in southern Wisconsin last evening to buy a "powerball
ticket", so I'll still be "on the list" for a while. Sorry in advance.

;-)
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |