Electrical Problem

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Mike Stahl <mstahl@dvsdghse.com>
Subject: Electrical Problem
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 12:02:53 -0400
- ---mike stahl  wrote:

> Dirty Howi,
>         My name is Michael Stahl and I live in Barstow, Ca. I have a 1965
> Triumph Spitfire II, and the electrical is killing me.  I'll try to
explain
> without confusing you and I.  When I turn the key to the on possition I
am
> getting power to the wire that runs from the coil to the distributor, But
> when I turn the key over I loose power to that wire and the engine will
just
> turn and turn without starting,,,,but,, as soon as I let the key go and
> regain that power to that wire the engine starts.  Am I lost or did I do
> something wrong or is it my somewhat electrical ignorance.  If you could
> E-Mail me a possible solution or give me a phone call I would realy
> appreciate it.  Thank you for your time.
>

> Respectfully,
>
> Michael J. Stahl Jr.

Michael,

I had the same problem with my ' 65 MG.  I would crank and release the
key and hope the timing was such that the engine had enough inertia
to continue turning past the point where a spark plug would fire and
start the engine.  Timing was critical.

Turns out the ignition switch had gone bad.  A new switch solved the
problem.

Good luck

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO