TR6 Misfire (here we go again!)

To: bschwart@pacbell.net, A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au
Subject: TR6 Misfire (here we go again!)
From: John Duhart <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 07:47:40 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hey All,

 OK, I took the TR6 out last night to get ready for an inspection.  Let me
remind everyone that I have just finished a rebuild on the engine, and all
other mechanical parts on the car.  The car has about 10-15 miles on it since
the rebuild.

 I put new Champion spark plugs (Y12NC?) in, gapped at .025 in.  Car has a
slight misfire at idle, but that is not what is worrying me.  When I try to
accellarate the engine mis-fires badly.  I had driven it once since the rebuild
with BOSCH plugs in it gapped at about .045in, and I don't recall this problem.
 Once I have the car going at about 20-30 MPH, if I let up on the gas the
mis-fire isn't as bad.  Hoiwever I can't see the car being able to do more than
40MPH the way it is right now!

 I checked the points and they are gapped at .015in.  Timing is set at 10
degrees BTDC

 I'm going to puy the Bosch plugs back in and see what if this is a new problem
or just something I didn't notice the first time I drove it.

 If anyone has any suggestions on what to look for please foward them.  And yes
I haven't adjusted the carbs on it since the rebuild, no balance and there
needle adjust is set at half a turn from full lean, so if it is not the plugs
this is were I will start.

Later,
JHD IV