Re: Overheating continued

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Overheating continued
From: Jay Raynis <jay@rih.org>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 18:24:04 -0400
Just to throw my wrench into the works:

I have read of different engines, most notably the Ford 429 if memory
serves, where removing the thermostat can actually cause problems because of
over-cooling. Once the block gets hot, it can only handle a certain "degree"
of stress. If the water used to cool the engine is too cool, cracking
starts.

Whether this would hold true for any specific Triumph engine remains to be
seen (or not as you prefer). The fact is that sometimes removing a
thermostat can provide temporary relief, but if you've developed a problem
you might as well fix it. It's a job to remove the thermostat anyway, why
not spend the time to troubleshoot your entire system?

You could add one of those nice Corvetter crossflow radiators while you're
tinkering and take care of your problem permanently. Or as permanent as an
old car allows.

Jay

WORKING HARDER at THINKING DIFFERENT
73+68 GT6 (One car, many parts)
Me: "It'll be back together for my daughter's graduation."
Them: "High school, or college?"
Me: "Grad school...."