Stripping threads on sealing blocks-

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Stripping threads on sealing blocks-
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 06:45:06 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brian points out-
   <  snip  >
>Also, DO NOT overtighten the bolts in the front and rear sealing
>blocks.  You can strip out the holes VERY easily (aluminum material, my
comments in parentheses).  See the book for
>locations, torque specs, and bolt lengths.  If you use a bolt too short,
>the threads will pull right out.
***************************************
One way to help prevent this is to install short studs in these holes.
Loctite these in place, use nuts and lock washers, and not only do you
lessen the chance of stripping the softer material you have a locating set
of "dowels" to guide the pan and gasket in.  I actually like to replace ALL
bolts with studs whenever I can.  Usually makes for easier assy, and less
stripping as well and if you do strip, you replace the stud.  The only real
drawback is the expense - as it will be slightly more expensive to replace
with studs/nuts, than with just bolts-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire