Re: TR4 wiper motor wiring

To: tr357@cdsnet.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 wiper motor wiring
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 22:54:13 EDT
Cc: ArthurK101@aol.com
In a message dated 98-05-17 00:20:09 EDT, tr357@cdsnet.net writes:

> The motor has bullet connectors on 1) a green wire; 2) a brown and green
>  wire; 3) a red and green wire; 4) a black ground(?) with a round
>  connector which obviously attaches to the body.
>  Problem is: harness has wires with push on connectors. 1) green; 2) a
>  single black; 3) a double black; 4) a single black/green.
>  Which connectors should I remove, and what colors go where.....

Dennis,

It appears to me that you have a TR4A 2-speed wiper motor, instead of the
single speed as used up through the TR4. The TR4A was the last year they used
a grounding switch to operate the wiper.  Beginning with the TR250, power was
switched, rather than ground.  If that is the case, then the red/green wire
would be the high speed connection. I believe you should connect the green to
the green, all black wires to chassis ground, and the black/green from the
harness to the brown/green at the wiper.

I am not 100% certain of this (only about 98%), as I don't have access to a
TR3 or a TR4A, but going from the diagrams, that seems to be the case.  If you
have the part number of the wiper motor, you could compare it to the
information supplied in on of the big three catalogs for confirmation.
Hopefully, someone else on the list will combine what you wrote with my
response and let us know for sure (Art?, Tom? anyone?).

Before you connect it, you may want to run a few tests: 1) Verify that the
black/green wire from the harness is grounded when the switch is on. 2) Verify
that the green harness wire has power when the key is on.  3) Connect the
brown/green wire from the motor to ground, and with a fused (5 amp max) test
lead, connect the green wire from the wiper to the ungrounded battery terminal
(polarity doesn't matter -- it will run either way, whether you've reverse
polarity or retained the factory positive earth configuration).

If 1) & 2) are correct, and the motor runs in test 3), then go ahead and
connect it as I suggested.

Just for additional verification, redo test 3) with the red/green wire
grounded to see if the motor runs at a higher speed than with the brown/green
wire connected.

Let us know how it turns out.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN