Re: Dismantling TR3B Thermostat Housing

Subject: Re: Dismantling TR3B Thermostat Housing
From: johnhaynes@som-uky.campus.mci.net (John Haynes)
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 09:01:54 -0400 (EDT)
At 09:07 AM 5/15/98 -0700, David Moag wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I am dismantling the thermostat housing (along with pretty much everything
>else under the hood) on my TR3B. It's completely covered in grunge of
>course. My first immediate concern is that I have not found the trick to
>removing the capillary tube that runs back to the temperature gauge. I'm
>hesitant to yank on it too hard for fear of breaking it off.
>
>Question 1: Any clues on how to extract the tube from the housing?
>
>Question 2: I am planning on bead blasting the parts to clean them up. Does
>anyone see any problems with this, or does someone have something they would
>recommend that I clean things up with before or after the blasting?
>
>Thanks for any advice!
>
>Dave Moag
>77 Spitfire
>62 TR3B
>
>   Hello Dave
         The temp. sending unit , capillary tube  and guage are one unit and
cannot be parted. The unit is also filled with amonia under pressure and any
leak will ruin the part. A rebuild will cost about $l00. A NOS gauge would
be dificult to find and expensive. When unscrewing the nut that holds the
sending unit bulb in the thermostat housing, it is important that the bulb
not turn enough to twist the tube appart. Try holding the neck of the tube
with needle nose pliers while turning the seating nut.
         If it were my bead blaster, I  would make you run everything thru a
steam cleaner first.  Make sure all the beads are out of the intake
manifold.Do not blast the carbs. Do not blast heavy cast iron parts with
light sheetmetal parts that will dent.
          After you blast the exhaust manifold, spray it with cold
galvanizing for a finish that will endure.

Sam Haynes TR3 Original Owner